EkpangNkukwo

August 13th 2019.


I had journeyed through the dusty roads of 6 states in Nigeria for what seemed like 13 hours or so. From the lonely and sad looking Sagamu into the red corrugated iron roofs of Ore and sandy red Benin a bit water logged Delta  and the ever busy Onitsha into the tiring Imo roads and very dark Umuahia. The driver even drove without headlights causing an uproar in the bus while I impatiently squirmed on my seat hoping to see the beautiful lights of  my destination Akwa-Ibom State.


I glanced at my phone, 10 missed calls and 3 messages from My Love, I smiled. I placed my head on the front seat and began to doze when my phone vibrated again


"can a young lady get her sleep please?


I quickly tap the answer button it was a strange number and a baritone voice sounded at the other end sending unpleasant signals to my brain, struggling to nurse my aching ear I plug in my earpiece and try to pick out the voice.


" Hello Favour where are you?


"Ermmm Good evening, please who's on the line?


"Oh forgive me I'm your Uncle and i want to find out if you're closeby so we could come get you at the park.


"Scratching my head frantically, err Uncle I'm not sure oh but I think we're almost at Ikot-Ekpene.


" You should be in Uyo in 20 minutes time, immediately you get to the park, eh? Are you listening to me?


"Yes Uncle"


"Take a mini-bus not a tricycle straight to plaza when you get there take another one to Nwaniba and stop at Perm Site your cousin Promise would be there waiting for you, God is with you.


"Amen, thank you Uncle I have heard you Sir.


" Okay my dear, See you Soon.


With that he ended the call and I put my phone in my fanny pack, I had travelled with just one bag so I wasn't bothered about load. Yet the loud and strong faced women that filled the bus had compressed me to the window. I was grateful for the scenery though.

I tried to acquaint myself with the village names but sleep took the better of me and I fell into its sweet arms only to be rudely awoken by one of the passenger's angry grunt followed by a pungent smell of the stale walnut she had been devouring as she nudged me by the side.


"Aunty you never see say we don reach abi, if you like no shine your eye, dem go carry you run sef"


I flash her an ungrateful smile and mouth thank you as the Lagos in me gears up to face the "supposed hoodlums of Plaza" Rubbish nonsense, I lived in Mushin y'all Uyo's got nothing on me, I whisper as I jump down the rickety white Toyota that had whisked me away from my beloved Home


In 40 minutes time I've arrived at my destination only to discover there was no electricity, bore hole or security system. To make matters worse there were bush paths and I tots dislike grass cos of crawling insects. Anyhoo, a bowl of ekpangnkukwo was set in front of me after I freshened up and I quickly put a call through to My Love.


"Hello Mummy


" Esther!!!!!! I have been calling you, your father has called you, even your friends have called you. You didn't answer, what is the matter with you eh?


"Mummy, I'm sorry the bus was too tight, I couldn't move freely that's why I called immediately I got to my destination.


" Okay have you arrived?  How was the journey? How are they? Are they nice people?

I roll my eyes and respond.

"Yes mummy, it was long and tiring, my back hurts, but they are nice people, everyone of them. Mummy please I need to eat now, I'd talk to you later.


" ehh Esther I say as you're there be prayerful, The Holy Spirit is with you, be careful. Greet everyone, don't be doing shakara up and down, you know you and coming back late in the night from church"

I smirked, my mother knows me. Whatever it took me to finish my work at church I'd do even if I had to get home late I'd do. I quickly made a mental note to not get so involved in church activities till I return to Lagos, I mean I was very committed there already.

 I actually loved the night, it was quiet and withdrawn and I like to think that was when mother earth could settle to herself and deal with her own affairs. Maybe it's the gentle breeze that greets her or the trees that sometimes stand silent staring at humans or perhaps the sound of the frogs and toads singing their own praise and worship single to God I don't know, the night just gets to me and I cease every opportunity to be with her when I could.


"Amen Mummy, thank you ma, Goodnight ma.

Comments

Popular Posts