For Colored Girls

Black girls are still treated without respect and the thought of it is sickening giving our uniqueness and involvement in the progress of the world at large. This is just me telling a bit of our stories line by line.


What did I know for I was but a child,
Young, free and wild,
I longed to hear the soft words of my mama,
I'd be here for you, ain't nothing matters.

Tossed to the end of the world I found myself,
Left at the mercy of a creature who hit my head against a shelf,
Ravaged, torn, broken and trampled upon,
My ever flowing tears and the sweet pain I felt were my support.

I run, I'm panting, I'm tired, yet I return to where I was,
A place where bitterness and pain are my boss,
I fight, I'm crying, I've struggled, but still you don't care,
Whoever said this life could be fair?

I looked away, moved on and found You
I hoped you'd be the one to make me gay and not blue,
You're here today, there tomorrow and lost forever,
In the bar on the streets, I can't find you wherever.

I am broken again and downtrodden in a second,
The sharp voice of hell unto me beckons,
I'm on the verge of falling, I am giving up my life,
STOP!!! I still yearn to be somebody's life.

So I'd fight again, I'd stand and I'll find,
The treasures of my life I left in your hand,
I'd rise up, I'd fly and I'll soar,
Till I reach the highest heights I won't rest on my oars.

Comments

Popular Posts